The 2017 Festival of Architecture will be the architecture event of the year, packed with an exciting array of tours, seminars, speakers and more, all happening in Ottawa during Canada’s 150th birthday celebration.
The Royal Architectural Institute of Canada (RAIC) and the Ontario Association of Architects (OAA) have partnered to present the Festival under the theme of Architecture 150. It takes place May 24-27, 2017 at the Westin Hotel, steps from Parliament Hill, the Byward Market and the Rideau Canal, a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
The four-day event includes dozens of continuing education sessions, plus tours, keynote speakers, an awards gala, social events and fun networking opportunities.
Adding to the sense of this historic occasion, the RAIC will mark the 110th anniversary of its founding as Canada’s national architecture association.
“We invite architects from across Canada and international guests to join us in the nation’s capital,” says Ewa Bieniecka, RAIC first Vice-President, and incoming 2017 President. “The 2017 RAIC/OAA Festival of Architecture will be a once-in-a-lifetime experience that you won’t want to miss.”
“Canada, 50 years ago, embarked on a vision for the country in which architecture played a major role in defining our culture,” says OAA President Toon Dreessen, FRAIC. “Now, as we celebrate the sesquicentennial, it’s time to reflect as well as look towards our future.”
Delegates will have plenty to see and do at the Festival of Architecture in Ottawa during Canada’s big year, such as:
- Take part in sessions, workshops, and architectural tours to earn professional continuing education credits;
- Celebrate excellence in the built environment at the President’s Dinner and Awards Gala on May 26;
- Recognize RAIC members and distinguished laypersons who have made outstanding contributions to the profession at the RAIC College of Fellows induction ceremony;
- Attend the Indigenous Architecture and Design Symposium on May 27 at the Wabano Centre which will focus on Indigenous issues from diverse perspectives; and
- Explore the national capital region’s many attractions including award-winning restaurants, historic sites, national museums and must-see architecture by Moshe Safdie, Arthur Erickson, and Ernest Cormier.
The Festival of Architecture offers ample opportunities for emerging professionals, including:
- Intern-exclusive events hosted by the RAIC Emerging Practitioners chapter, whose mission is to connect and strengthen the voice of interns across Canada and help them on the path to licensure;
- The OAA Admission Course will be held during the Festival, a mandatory requirement for licensure for all Interns in Ontario.
The RAIC and the OAA will announce keynote speakers, special guests, and more events in the coming months.
Save the date and book early as hotels are filling up quickly for this exciting time in Ottawa.
ABOUT THE RAIC
The Royal Architectural Institute of Canada is the leading voice for excellence in the built environment in Canada. Representing about 5,000 members the RAIC advocates for excellence, works to demonstrate how design enhances the quality of life and promotes responsible architecture in addressing important issues of society.
ABOUT THE OAA
The Ontario Association of Architects is a self-regulating organization governed by the Architects Act, a statute of the Government of Ontario. It is dedicated to increasing the knowledge, skill and proficiency of its more 5,200 members, and administering the Act to serve and protect the public interest.