The Design and Construction Division of the Capital Planning Branch is looking for an Intermediate Architect for a term position until March 31 2020. The position is classified as an RÉ-05 ($ 64,397 to 85,443 per annum). Candidates have until Friday December 28, 2018 to submit their application.
The National Capital Commission (NCC) is the federal Crown Corporation dedicated to ensuring that Canada’s Capital is a dynamic and inspiring source of pride for all Canadians and a legacy for generations to come. Building on more than a century of experience, the NCC provides unique value in the Capital Region by fulfilling three specific roles: long-term planner of federal lands, principal steward of nationally significant public places, and creative partner committed to excellence in development and conservation.
DETAILED JOB DESCRIPTION
Reporting to the Chief, Building Architecture, the Architect – Intermediate level Assists Center of Expertise RE-06 (CoE RE-06) or Project Manager (PM) in the planning, coordination, organization and preparation of plans, studies, designs and specifications documents on NCC projects in the incumbent’s area of expertise. Under the CoE RE-06, the incumbent prepares plans, studies, designs and specifications documents on single discipline projects in his area of expertise.
- Provides assistance to the CoE in matters relating to their specific area of expertise in preparing design guidelines, concepts, studies, presentation drawings, plans and 3D renderings, plans, contract technical documents, cost estimates, schedules etc;
- Provides expert advice on area of expertise aspects of project development and delivery through the Planning, Development, Implementation, and Close-out phases of the assigned projects to satisfy time, cost, scope and quality requirements;
- Reviews the project scope, order of magnitude estimate, milestone dates, functional/operational requirements and quality expectations of the Statement of Requirements;
- Participates in multidisciplinary reviews at 30%, 60% and 90% completion of tender documents, including quality assurance reviews or compliance reviews, to ensure adherence to and application of safe design, standards, guidelines, practices and principles and policies, and related contractual requirements in their area of expertise;
- Gathers information and assembles technical related documentation, such as correspondence, reports, briefs, NCC submissions and participates in the post mortem evaluation of project activities related to his their expertise to establish lessons learned.
- Undertakes consultations with stakeholders, and secure necessary approvals from authorities having jurisdiction (including NCC) to ensure work conforms to applicable policies and legislation, and program requirements;
- Provides advice and opinions on projects carried out by others on land under NCC jurisdiction;
- Participates on various NCC committees.
A Master’s degree from an accredited Architecture School. Studies in urban planning or landscape architecture are not essential, but would be assets
- Bilingual BBB French essential
- A minimum of five (5) years holding progressively significant responsibilities in providing technical services:
- Experience and interest in a diverse set of design styles and strong graphic and presentation skills;
- Experience in developing concepts and design options for implementation of work relating to architectural projects;
- Experience in using various 2D and 3D design software.
- Must be licensed or eligible to become a Member of a Canadian Architects professional Association such as l’ Ordre des Architectes du Québec (OAQ) or Ontario Association of Architects (OAA)
- Other professional designations.
- High proficiency in Autocad, Adobe Creative Suite, SketchUp.
- Proficient in Revit and BIM project delivery experience is an asset
- Experience with construction projects for heritage buildings.
- Of the NCC, its mandate, mission and role in the National Capital Region.
- Of the principles of universal accessibility and heritage conservation.
- Of the National Building Code, standards, theories, principles, practices and techniques relevant to the Center of Expertise as applied to the design in order to provide advice and guidance to clients, project managers, team members, consultants, contractors and other stakeholders.
- To manage projects independently with minimum supervision
- To communicate effectively both orally and in writing;
- To work in a multidisciplinary team;
- To manage and prioritize various tasks;
- To be able to adjust to changing priorities;
- To ensure quality assurance in compliance with quality work standards.
- Values and ethics: Serving through integrity and respect;
- Strategic thinking: Innovating through analysis and ideas;
- Engagement: Mobilizing people, organization, partners; and
- Excellence through results: Delivering through action management, people management and financial management skills;
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
- Possess a secret security clearance.
As a result of this competition, we may establish an inventory of potential candidates that may serve to staff similar positions.
The NCC is committed to building a skilled, diverse workforce reflective of Canadian society. As a result, it promotes employment equity and encourages candidates to indicate voluntarily in their application if they are a woman, an Indigenous person, a person with a disability or a member of a visible minority group.
The NCC is also committed to developing inclusive, barrier-free selection processes and work environments. If contacted regarding this competition, please advise the Human Resources representative of the accommodation measures which must be taken to enable you to be assessed in a fair and equitable manner. If you require additional information on the position or if you are experiencing technical difficulties, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Hearing impaired and speech impaired persons can contact us through a Teletype Device (TTY) at (613) 239-5090 or 1-866-661-3530 (toll free).
*The male form used in this offer refers to both women and men.