5468796 is looking for an artistically talented and technically knowledgeable project architect for a full-time permanent position in a fun and inspiring environment. Our office is full of passionate people and the project scales and types vary widely, but challenging the status quo, experimenting with new ideas and delivering exceptional outcomes regardless of the project scale or budget is always our goal. The position is suited for a team-minded, experienced architectural intern or a registered architect.
5468796 Architecture Inc. is a Winnipeg-based studio established in 2007. Working around a single table, the practice unites the diverse knowledge and experience of twenty professionals. Together, 5468796 believes that every client, user, and civic environment – regardless of budget – deserves an outcome that advances architecture. In the past eleven years, the firm has achieved numerous design awards and recognitions, both nationally and internationally. The firm’s work has been published in over 150 books and publications and the Houston-based Rice Design Alliance recently stated that they ‘truly believe 5468796 to be one of the most talented young design firms worldwide.’
5468796 makes design advocacy an ongoing pursuit through critical practice, professorships at the Universities of Manitoba, Toronto, Montreal, and through numerous public engagements. In 2012 5468796 represented Canada at the Venice Biennale in Architecture and in 2013 they were selected as the recipient of the 2013 Prix de Rome Award in Architecture for Canada by the Canada Council for the Arts. Locally the firm is best known for the notorious Old Market Square ‘CUBE’, the Avenue on Portage and the nearly completed 62M condominiums, dubbed as the ‘flying saucer’ at the foot of the Disraeli Bridge. Most recently, the firm’s founders have been appointed as Visiting Professors-Morgenstern for the 2019 winter term at the Illinois Institute of Technology in Chicago.
In addition to practice, 546’ers are design activists and advocates. They are passionate about making architecture an integral part of the broader culture by spearheading non-profit initiatives like Table for 12 + 1200, Chair Your Idea or the Winnipeg Design District.
The successful candidate is expected to carry out the duties of a project architect from project conception to completion, including schematic design, design development, construction documents phase, tender, and construction administration phases with relative independence. The project architect would typically work closely with one of the principals through design and design development phases, and with relative independence when the major direction of the project has been set. Depending on the project size, the project architect may act in a supervisory role for junior team members or, with smaller projects when an extended team may not be necessary, take on production tasks themselves.
• M. Arch degree, registered architect, or an experienced intern member of a provincial licensing body (Canada)
• Min. 3+ years of Canadian experience in an architectural practice
• Proficiency in any CAD program (knowledge of Vectorworks is considered an asset], Photoshop, InDesign, Pages, Numbers, basic 3D modelling skills
• Design talent, ability to communicate + diagram key concepts
• Great project management skills and ability to produce construction document sets
• Good understanding of technical detailing + building code
• Good organizational + clear communication skills, verbally, in writing, graphically, and in drawing format
• Team-minded with a go-getter attitude, ability to roll with the punches and get things done
• Interest in design culture and the larger purpose of architecture
• Ability to self-edit and receive constructive critique
• Expertise in 3D modelling + rendering: Sketchup, Rhino, V-ray, etc (considered an asset)
• Experience in zoning approvals processes or alternate code solutions in MB or other jurisdictions (considered an asset)
5468796 is an innovative, fast-growing company in a unique niche market. Our future looks very bright, and so could yours. Not sure yet? No worries – it’s inspiring around here. We’ve worked hard to build a workplace where people feel like a family. If you share our people-centred values, we’d love to talk.
5468796 Architecture is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment. If you qualify for this position, we encourage you to apply by submitting a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.