Project Management for Architects - Toronto 2019
Thursday, January 24: 6:00 PM to 9:00 PM
Friday, January 25: 8:45 AM to 5:00 PM; Workshop: 6:00 PM to 9:00 PM
Saturday, January 26: 8:45 AM to 5:00 PM
Thursday, February 7: 6:00 PM to 9:00 PM
Friday, February 8: 8:45 AM to 5:00 PM; Workshop: 6:00 PM to 9:00 PM
Saturday, February 9: 8:45 AM to 5:00 PM
The Royal Architectural Institute of Canada is offering project management courses for architects and interns in Toronto. This course will provide both project management knowledge in the context of architectural practice as well as prepare participants for the Project Management Institute’s PMP® certification exam. The courses will include:
- Project management tools and templates for architectural practice;
- 35 hours of instruction plus a 6-hour practical workshop in which participants will learn to use the tools and templates;
- a premium PMP® certification exam preparation kit including textbook, study aids, online resources, and an online test question bank.
The RAIC’s Project Management for Architects course will:
- provide architectural interns, emerging practitioner, and emerging proprietors with a solid grounding in contemporary project management practices, tools and techniques, and
- prepare participants to write the Project Management Institute’s Project Management Professional (PMP)® certification exam.
At the completion of this course, the participant will be able to:
- Develop a project plan for a design project including work plan, schedule, bottom-up and top-down fee calculations, and risk management plan;
- Develop a stakeholder management plan for a design project;
- Relate architectural practice to the ten knowledge areas of contemporary project management body of knowledge, as described in PMI’s A Guide to the Project Management Body of Knowledge (PMBOK® Guide);
- With additional study, write the Project Management Institute’s Project Management Professional (PMP)® certification exam.
RAIC Members: Early Bird Special - register by January 4: $1,450; After January 4: $1,600
Non-members (register any time): $1,750
All fees exclusive of GST/HST
Location: LMT Training Centre, 95 Wellington Street West, Suite 1400, Toronto, ON
Meals: Lunches will be provided on Friday and Saturday, with a dinner served on Friday evening.
Coffee and tea will be served upon arrival and at morning and afternoon breaks.
Please identify special dietary accommodations at the time of registration.
Classes are limited to 30 participants.
This course is offered in English.
B.Arch., MDE, OAA, MRAIC, PMP
Director, Practice Support/Director, Syllabus
Royal Architectural Institute of Canada
In addition to operating his own architectural practice for 20 years, Don Ardiel has developed and delivered project management programs, courses, and workshops for post-secondary institutions, architectural associations, and corporate clients. As the past-Director of Certification for the Project Management Institute’s South Western Ontario Chapter, Don helped hundreds of people prepare for the PMP® certification exam.
Architectural practice has always been driven by project-based objectives, deliverables, activities, and tasks. In the 70’s and 80‘s architects, engineers and constructors were instrumental in creating the project management processes, tools and techniques that have been adopted by other industrial sectors around the globe. However, project management practice in architectural office may not have kept up to date with structured approaches. As seen in numerous RFPs, clients are seeking levels of project management proficiency that architecture firms may lack.
This course provides a structured approach to managing projects using widely-adopted tools and techniques described in the PMBOK® Guide and placing the PMBOK® Guide ‘s 10 knowledge areas and 5 process groups into the context of architectural practice.
Participants will apply the tools and techniques outlined in the PMBOK® Guide to architectural project management problems. They will also have to opportunity to practice their knowledge of project management principles, concepts and applications in preparation for the PMP® certification exam using sample quizzes in each of the ten knowledge area:
- Scope Management
- Schedule Management
- Cost Management
- Quality Management
- Human Resource Management
- Communications Management
- Risk Management
- Procurement Management
- Stakeholder Management, and
The workshop component participants will use a variety of planning tools to support design project management, including:
- work breakdown structures
- design project cost estimation and fee proposal development tools
- risk management planning for design projects
- communication and stakeholder management planning tools.
- Velociteach’s ProQuip Premium PMP® Certification Exam study kit, including:
- The PMP® Exam: How to Pass on Your First Try textbook
- Flashcard App
- Conversations on the PMP® exam
- Quick Reference Cards
- Testing App
- Pass the Exam: 35 hours of online modules with over 500 practice questions (the course is now registered for AIA continuing education credits)
- Online testing simulator
- Online Process Explorer
- Formula Sheets
95 Wellington Street West, Suite 1400
Toronto, ON M5J 2M7
|RAIC Member Fee||$ 1.00 + $ 0.13 Sales Tax|
|Non-member Fee||$ 1.00 + $ 0.13 Sales Tax|